203 topics. August 13, 2020, 2:55 pm
Govaa Forum / News / China admits to destroying early coronavirus samples, says action was taken due (1 Post | 183 Views)
China admits to destroying early coronavirus samples, says action was taken due by Macsino(m) : 11:14 am On May 17
China has acknowledged it destroyed early samples of COVID-19, confirming a claim put forward by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo late last month. A worker is pictured inside a laboratory in Wuhan, China
Home » Coronavirus Updates » China admits to destroying early coronavirus samples, says action was taken due to safety concerns
China admits to destroying early coronavirus samples, says action was taken due to safety concerns
ON MAY 16, 20209:56 PMIN CORONAVIRUS UPDATES
China has acknowledged it destroyed early samples of COVID-19, confirming a claim put forward by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo late last month.
On Friday, Liu Dengfeng, a supervisor with China’s National Health Commission, admitted that ‘the Chinese government issued an order on January 3 to dispose of coronavirus samples’ at unauthorized laboratories, according to Newsweek.
But Liu denied that the samples were destroyed as part of a cover-up, insisting that they were disposed of so as to ‘prevent risk to laboratory biological safety and prevent secondary disasters caused by unidentified pathogens.’
He stated that the labs were ‘unauthorized’ to handle such samples, and they had to be terminated in order to comply with Chinese public health laws.
Liu did not specify how many labs destroyed coronavirus samples.
The admission comes amid souring diplomatic relations between the U.S. and China over the COVID-19 outbreak – which originated in Wuhan late last year.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last month accused the Asian superpower of not being transparent about spread of the coronavirus.
‘The Chinese Communist Party still has not shared the virus sample from inside of China with the outside world, making it impossible to track the disease’s evolution,’ Pompeo stated at a briefing on April 22.
‘We strongly believe that the Chinese Communist Party did not report the outbreak of the new coronavirus in a timely fashion to the World Health Organisation,’ he added.
‘Even after the CCP did notify the WHO of the coronavirus outbreak, China didn’t share all of the information that it had.’
Pompeo continued: ‘Instead it covered up how dangerous the disease is, It didn’t report sustained human-to-human transmission for a month until it was in every province inside of China. It censored those who tried to warn the world in order to halt the testing of new samples, and it destroyed existing samples.’
As of Saturday afternoon, more than 4.59 million people around the world have tested positive to COVID-19. At least 309,000 have died.
|Govaa - Copyright © 2018 Govaa (Admin). All rights reserved. Follow Govaa on Facebook and Twitter|
Disclaimer: Every Govaa member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Govaa.